Learning the Basics
Many homeowners may not realize the importance of keeping their air ducts clean. By ignoring their ducts, homeowners allow dust particles, pollutants, mold, and other harmful debris to accumulate in the air ducts, which causes poor indoor air quality.
Poor indoor air quality can contribute to many negative health issues, including headaches, fatigue, and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat. To improve indoor air quality and avoid these symptoms, homeowners can schedule a professional air duct cleaning.
Signs the Air Ducts Need Cleaning
Typically, air ducts should be cleaned every three to five years. However, they may need to be cleaned even sooner. There are certain signs homeowners should be aware of that indicate that it’s time for their air ducts to be cleaned or serviced by a professional.
Some common signs to look out for include:
- Weak airflow: Weak or insufficient airflow can cause a decrease in the cooling of a home or building. This can be especially problematic during the summer as homeowners and building occupants want to beat the heat and stay cool. Another sign air ducts need to be cleaned or repaired is the air being produced is warm instead of cool, which can contribute to warmer than normal rooms throughout the home or building.
- High power bill: When air ducts become dirty, the HVAC system must work overtime to cool the home or building down. This leads to higher energy consumption and higher power bills.
- Odd sounds and smells coming from the ducts: Sounds like hissing, clattering, and other odd noises, as well as bad odors, can be caused by dirty and clogged ducts.
- Poor indoor air quality: Air is distributed from the HVAC system throughout the air ducts, so when the ducts are filthy, much of that filth is distributed throughout the home. This contributes to poor indoor air quality, which can negatively impact health.
- Increase in allergy symptoms: Pollutants and allergens caught in the air ducts are dispersed throughout the home as the airflow is pushed out. This can cause an increase in allergy symptoms such as burning and itchy eyes and noses.
When these symptoms appear, homeowners should contact a professional HVAC technician to have their ducts professionally cleaned and serviced.
Duct Cleaning Benefits
Keeping air ducts clean and well maintained has several benefits. For starters, clean air ducts mean improved indoor air quality, which can help reduce allergens and indoor pollutants. This can have an overall positive benefit on the health of those living in the home.
If the air ducts are dirty, the chances of the HVAC system working properly and efficiently are decreased, resulting in the system working overtime. This means that there will be an increase in energy consumption, and the energy bill will be higher. Homeowners can benefit from energy savings and a lower utility bill by keeping the ducts clean.
Overall, the advantages of having clean ductwork heavily outweigh the negatives, of which there are none. Homeowners should consider getting their ductwork cleaned just for the health benefits alone.
Keeping the Ducts Clean
Homeowners can do a few things to help keep their air ducts clean between routine air duct cleanings. And it’s easy enough that most homeowners should not struggle to do them. The first thing is to keep the house clean by dusting and vacuuming regularly. The less dust, pet hair, and other debris left in the house, the less that will get into the air ducts.
Another thing homeowners can do to help is to change the air filter at least every three months. If pets live in the home or the air filters become too dirty or clogged, changing them more frequently than every three months is recommended.
About Star Air Conditioning & Heating
Star Air Conditioning & Heating is a veteran-owned and operated company serving the residents of Kissimmee, FL, and the surrounding areas since 2004. They provide great value, fast turnarounds, and easy financing. Call them today for air conditioning services in Kissimmee, FL.