What is HVAC?
HVAC is the acronym for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. It is the practice of using different technologies to govern an indoor space's air purity, temperature, and humidity. HVAC’s primary function is to provide a comfortable temperature to homeowners during periods of extreme heat or cold.
What Features Does an HVAC System Have?
HVAC systems are complex and have several parts that homeowners should be aware of. These include but are not limited to exhaust outlets, ducts, air filters, air returns, outdoor units, electrical elements, compressors, coils, and blowers.
The primary role of any HVAC system is to provide homeowners with heating and cooling capabilities and a dehumidifier that will help keep the humidity in homes down. Regarding cooling, liquid refrigerant is used along with the evaporator coil. The evaporator coil converts the refrigerant into gas and works to absorb the heat into the refrigerant. As the air passes over the coil, it is cooled and passed through the ductwork to cool the home. Similarly, the heating works in the same way. Cool air is pulled through the HVAC system, turned to heat, and then pushed back into the home to provide warmth to homeowners.
HVAC System Parts
Here are a few important components of an HVAC system and what they are:
- Thermostat: a device that is programmed at a specific temperature. The device tracks the temperature inside the building and works to maintain it. Homeowners can set it to either heat or cool.
- Ductwork: network made up of several ducts (passages) that help remove and deliver air.
- Evaporator Coil: part of the HVAC system that helps absorb and remove heat.
- Condenser Coil: works to exchange the heat from the evaporator coil for cool air.
- Blower Motor takes cool or heated air from the furnace, heat pump, or air conditioner and blows it into the home.
- A combustion Chamber is a component in which natural gas is burnt to produce heat.
- Heat Exchanger: a device that helps to transfer heat between two or several liquids.
Of course, many other components make up an HVAC system, each with its purpose, functions, and care instructions.
Since HVAC systems can be so complicated with all of their different components, it is recommended that a professional be brought in for routine maintenance and service. Regular maintenance should be conducted twice a year for good measure.
By scheduling routine maintenance, homeowners can ensure that their system runs efficiently, which saves them money on energy costs and will keep their homes comfortable all year long. It also decreases the chances of the system breaking down suddenly. If this happens, homeowners may have to endure the heat or cold while they wait for a technician to be available to come and fix it.
While most HVAC maintenance should be left to professionals, some things homeowners can do themselves, including changing the air filter at least once every three months.
About Star Air Conditioning & Heating
Star Air Conditioning & Heating is a veteran-owned and operated business with over 15 years of experience serving its neighbors in Kissimmee, FL, and the surrounding areas. They provide great value, fast turnarounds, financing, and 24/7 emergency response. Call them today for heating or air conditioning services in Kissimmee, FL.